Connecticut police arrested man suspected of setting around 30 trash can fires in New Haven
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut police have arrested a man suspected of setting around 30 fires in New Haven.
Authorities say the 72-year-old acknowledged setting several of the fires after his arrest June 7, and he has been charged with reckless burning and criminal mischief.
Officials with the New Haven Fire Investigations Unit say they had been searching for a suspect in the fires since April. They say about 30 trash can fires were set within three months.
Police say the man was finally captured on surveillance video setting a fire near the New Haven Public Library June 5.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI searched estate in major escalation of probe
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.