BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Parks officials in Buffalo, New York, are tickled pink over claiming a new world record for having the longest line of garden flamingos .
A Guinness World Records official was on hand Thursday to certify the record — 1,500 pink flamingos — which were set up to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Buffalo’s Olmsted Parks system.
Landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted designed Buffalo’s citywide system of parks and parkways. Parks officials took some liberties with his initials — “F” “L” “O” — to come up with the “FLO-mingo” event.
The previous record for the pink, plastic lawn ornaments was held by Pledge the Pink of Callawassie Island, South Carolina, which lined up 1,058 flamingos in 2016.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court allows Jan. 6 committee to get Trump documents
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- Carhartt said vaccination remains mandatory for employees. A conservative backlash ensued
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- Dentist killed his wife on an African hunting trip, U.S. says
Buffalo residents were invited to adopt the lawn ornaments and display them at home.