NEW YORK (AP) — A New York physician who pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide while performing an abortion that led to the bleeding death of a six-months-pregnant woman and been sentenced to prison.
Dr. Robert Rho, of Great Neck, Long Island, was sentenced to 1 1/3 to 4 years in prison Tuesday.
Rho admitted he was negligent doing the abortion on 30-year-old Jamie Lee Morales in 2016, severing her uterine aorta, ripping her cervix and piercing her uterine wall.
A Queens jury was close to a verdict on the original second-degree manslaughter charge against the 55-year-old doctor before he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge. He had faced up to 15 years behind bars for manslaughter.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How FedEx cut its tax bill to $0
- How a CIA analyst, alarmed by Trump's shadow foreign policy, triggered an impeachment inquiry VIEW
- ‘Absolutely no mercy’: Leaked files show China’s mass detentions in officials’ own words
- Democrat Edwards wins reelection in conservative Louisiana VIEW
- A 9-year-old is about to get a university degree. He has #giganticplans.