NEW YORK (AP) — A New York physician who pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide while performing an abortion that led to the bleeding death of a six-months-pregnant woman and been sentenced to prison.
Dr. Robert Rho, of Great Neck, Long Island, was sentenced to 1 1/3 to 4 years in prison Tuesday.
Rho admitted he was negligent doing the abortion on 30-year-old Jamie Lee Morales in 2016, severing her uterine aorta, ripping her cervix and piercing her uterine wall.
A Queens jury was close to a verdict on the original second-degree manslaughter charge against the 55-year-old doctor before he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge. He had faced up to 15 years behind bars for manslaughter.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- You downloaded FaceApp. Here's what you've just done to your privacy.
- 'Manholes' are out as Berkeley removes gender-specific language from city code
- Plan to slow Western wildfires would clear strips of land
- Nobel laureate from Iraq told Trump that ISIS killed her family. 'Where are they now?' he asked.
- A Chicago man died after the family took him off life support. Then he walked through the door.