FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina woman has been arrested and is accused of trying to poison her two sons with cream soda laced with lighter fluid.
The Fayetteville Observer reports 34-year-old Octavia Latosh Robinson of Fayetteville has been charged with two counts each of distributing food containing noxious or deleterious material and misdemeanor child abuse.
At a court appearance Tuesday, Robinson asked a judge to terminate her parental rights. The newspaper reports she later began yelling and cursing during the hearing in the Cumberland County jail.
Judge Beth Keever said it was too soon to decide on parental rights and asked that the public defender’s office represent the woman. Keever also ordered a psychiatric evaluation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Colorado homeowner emptied pistol to kill bear that broke in
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
She’s accused of giving the poisoned soda to her 6-year-old and 10-year-old sons Sunday. One of the boys tasted it and they went to a neighbor, who called police. The boys were released from a hospital.
Information from: The Fayetteville Observer, http://www.fayobserver.com