RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A Republican candidate for the North Carolina state Senate is comparing Democrats to Nazis, roaches and a sitcom character.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reports former Durham County sheriff’s deputy Rickey Padgett is challenging incumbent Democrat Mike Woodard.
On Twitter, Padgett’s posted in January an image depicting U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer in Nazi uniforms with the words “Chuck’s SS anti Trump unit.”
State Democratic Party spokesman Robert Howard called Padgett anti-Semitic and urged the GOP to distance itself from Padgett.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- Sailor in iconic V-J Day Times Square kiss photo dies at 95
A February 2017 tweet features Sen. Elizabeth Warren labeled as a cartoon roach which says “Come on Pelosi and you Democrat cock roaches, Trump is on the way!”
Padgett also compared U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters to “Aunt Esther,” the foil to Redd Foxx’s character on “Sanford & Son.”
Information from: The News & Observer, http://www.newsobserver.com