NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — U.S. Navy officials say a sailor who was part of a helicopter squadron has been killed in a “mishap” in Virginia.
The Navy said in a statement that it happened at about 3:30 p.m. Monday on the flight line at Naval Station Norfolk.
Officials said the sailor was working as a maintainer at the helicopter squadron. The death remains under investigation. No other details were provided.
The commander of Naval Air Force Atlantic said details regarding the sailor and his or her squadron will not be released until 24 hours after his or her family is notified. That rule is dictated by Department of Defense policy.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'