Authorities say a Lincoln man has drowned in an eastern Nebraska lake and his son was hospitalized
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Authorities say a Lincoln man has drowned in an eastern Nebraska lake and his son was hospitalized.
The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission says 28-year-old Christian Montoya died Sunday at Pawnee Lake in Lancaster County, west of Lincoln. His son, 2-year-old Christian Montoya Jr., was taken to a hospital in good condition.
Eyewitnesses told authorities the father and son were on a flotation device that was blown out of a designated swimming area, and they both eventually ended up in the water.
A citizen on a personal watercraft picked up the boy and returned him to shore, but authorities say the elder Montoya had disappeared when the citizen returned to pick him up. His body was recovered at 6:30 p.m. The father and son were not wearing life jackets.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine