BEDFORD, Va. (AP) — Virginia authorities say an educator at an evangelical Christian university led by Jerry Falwell Jr. has been accused of trying to have sexual relations with a minor.
News outlets report 63-year-old Liberty University professor Stephen Kilpatrick was arrested Wednesday. He faces multiple charges, including using communications systems to facilitate certain offenses involving children.
A task force against child internet crimes says Kilpatrick was arrested after travelling to meet someone who he believed was an underage girl. The school said in an email that Kilpatrick has been suspended from his position as an associate professor of mathematics “pending the outcome of this matter.”
Kilpatrick was booked into the Bedford Adult Detention Center. It’s unclear if he has a lawyer to comment on the charges.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Historians privately warn Biden that America's democracy is teetering
- WSU police chief, 2 others retire after internal investigation
- MIT researchers create test to predict COVID immunity; Harvard scientists develop test for both virus and antibodies
- Naturalist who was authority on eastern timber rattlesnakes dies of snakebite at 80
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events