BERLIN (AP) — A German government agency tasked with providing unbiased political information has launched a website suggesting that the U.S. government staged the 9/11 attacks and that aircraft contrails are poisonous — to show how illogical conspiracy theories are.
The Federal Agency for Civic Education said Monday that the mock videos on the website are aimed at people who don’t pay much attention to traditional media.
The site — called “Wahre Welle TV,” or True Wave TV — is designed to encourage consumers of online information to critically question what they see or read online.
To make clear the videos are not meant to be taken literally, each episode ends with the words “don’t believe the crap” and links to additional resources.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- As risk of nuclear war grows, study warns even a limited exchange would doom billions
The anti-bias agency also publishes materials for civics lessons.