Firefighters have fully contained a pair of small brush fires in rural Washoe County
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Firefighters have fully contained a pair of small brush fires in rural Washoe County.
The Gerlach Volunteer Fire Department said Friday a 15-acre (6-hectare) wildfire that was burning in a remote area north of the Black Rock Desert charred an abandoned ranch building but no homes were threatened and no injuries reported.
The fire originally was estimated to be significantly larger when it was reported shortly after 8:30 p.m. Thursday about a 4-hour drive from Reno. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Another blaze reported Friday morning south of Pyramid Lake near Nixon only burned about a half-acre before it was snuffed out. No injuries were reported or structures damaged.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
Don Pelt of the Pyramid Paiute Tribe told KOLO-TV it was started by humans but the exact cause remains under investigation.
Information from: KOLO-TV, http://www.kolotv.com