Police say a security guard shot and killed an alleged trespasser during a confrontation between two state government buildings in downtown Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Police say a security guard shot and killed an alleged trespasser during a confrontation between two state government buildings in downtown Salt Lake City.
Police say a security guard reported he was trying to remove a trespasser near the Heber Wells and Department of Workforce Services buildings at about 5:25 a.m. Wednesday on 300 South between 140 East and 160 East.
Investigators say the confrontation escalated and multiple shots were fired. They say it’s possible the suspect tried to take the private security officer’s gun.
Several witnesses who heard the gunshots called 911. The guard also eventually called 911 and is cooperating with police.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine
The name of the victim hasn’t been released.