NORTH SMITHFIELD, R.I. (AP) — It was a close call when a crane came smashing through the roof of a Rhode Island home, nearly hitting the residents.
Jack Fandetti says he was inside his North Smithfield home with his wife around 3 p.m. Monday when the crane tipped over, sending the outrigger through the roof and into the room they were in.
Fandetti says he and his wife jumped out of the way, avoiding injury. The crane was extracted from the home about an hour later.
Fandetti says crane is owned by Mike’s Tree Service, and it had been removing trees from their backyard.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No'
- The coming California megastorm
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The owner of the company says a piston on the outrigger failed, causing the crane to tip over.