Share story

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — In a story July 11 about the death of a couple inside a garage, The Associated Press reported erroneously the relationship between the man, who reported finding the bodies, and the female victim. He said she was his longtime companion, not his wife.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Woman, mechanic found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning

Man finds companion, car mechanic dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning

Most Read Nation & World Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Police say a New Jersey man found his longtime companion and a car mechanic dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Kahali Johnson tells WABC-TV he found the bodies about 9 p.m. Tuesday in a garage at his apartment building in Newark.

Johnson says he smelled a strong odor of gas, and he traced the source to a running vehicle in the garage. It was there where police say he found his companion, 39-year-old Tameka Hargrave, and the male mechanic.

Police say their deaths appeared to be accidental.

The mechanic’s name was not immediately released.