A woman and a child died after falling into the Matanuska River near Palmer
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Alaska State Troopers say the two people who died in the Matanuska River near Palmer were a boy and his mother from Anchorage.
The bodies of 29-year-old Amanda Lange and 5-year-old Gabriel Lange were recovered from the river.
Troopers shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday received a report that two people had fallen into the river near Matanuska River Park off the old Glenn Highway.
Troopers say the boy was playing or walking in the water and stepped or fell into deeper water.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
Amanda Lange tried to rescue the boy but both were swept downstream.
A bystander called 911. Troopers were joined in the search by emergency responders and volunteers from the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Palmer and Butte.
Information from: KTVA-TV, http://www.ktva.com