Newly released court documents say a former Kansas teacher who also worked as a law enforcement officer had sex with a 17-year-old girl at school
MAIZE, Kan. (AP) — Newly released court documents say a former Kansas teacher who also worked as a law enforcement officer had sex with a 17-year-old girl at school.
The Wichita Eagle reports that the affidavit released Wednesday says 44-year-old Johnny Yelverton told a Wichita police detective that he started a romantic involvement with the girl who was in some of his classes in late March. The affidavit also says explicit photos of the girl were found on his phone after the girl’s family went to police.
Yelverton is charged with sexual exploitation of a child and having unlawful sexual relations with a student. Before his resignation last month, he taught fire science and law and public safety courses to Maize High School and Maize South High School students at the Maize Career Academy.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Can 'Jeopardy!' whiz James Holzhauer be beat? The science of memory and recall, explained
- Morehouse College graduates’ student loans to be paid off by billionaire
- Trump's sanctions on Iran are hitting Hezbollah hard
- Oregon college safety officer pleads guilty to killing woman
Information from: The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, http://www.kansas.com