Newly released court documents say a former Kansas teacher who also worked as a law enforcement officer had sex with a 17-year-old girl at school
MAIZE, Kan. (AP) — Newly released court documents say a former Kansas teacher who also worked as a law enforcement officer had sex with a 17-year-old girl at school.
The Wichita Eagle reports that the affidavit released Wednesday says 44-year-old Johnny Yelverton told a Wichita police detective that he started a romantic involvement with the girl who was in some of his classes in late March. The affidavit also says explicit photos of the girl were found on his phone after the girl’s family went to police.
Yelverton is charged with sexual exploitation of a child and having unlawful sexual relations with a student. Before his resignation last month, he taught fire science and law and public safety courses to Maize High School and Maize South High School students at the Maize Career Academy.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In reversal, Trump orders halt to his family separation rule WATCH
- More outbreaks of foodborne illnesses: Here’s what you need to know
- Trump to propose reorganizing the government, targeting safety net programs
- Maddow breaks down reading AP story on 'tender age' shelters
- Iran lists demands for improving relations with US
Information from: The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, http://www.kansas.com