Authorities have arrested two boys in connection with a Wednesday fire that killed a 79-year-old man in western Oregon
WILLAMINA, Ore. (AP) — Authorities have arrested two boys in connection with a Wednesday fire that killed a 79-year-old man in western Oregon.
The Yamhill County Sheriff’s Office said Friday the 14-year-old grandson of the man who died in the fire and the boy’s 15-year-old friend were arrested and booked into a juvenile facility.
The grandson has been charged with murder, arson and aggravated theft. His friend was charged with attempted arson and aggravated theft.
Authorities responded to a house fire in rural Willamina early Wednesday and inside found the body of a man believed to be Dieter Aulig. A woman who lived there suffered burns and was treated at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- Utility emailed Northern California woman about power-line problems 1 day before fire
The sheriff’s office says investigators found a fire accelerant in the house and believe the boys conspired to steal money that was stored at the residence.
The sheriff’s office says nearly $50,000 was recovered.