LUMBERTON, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a Florida man fired a shotgun at sheriff’s deputies before they returned fire and fatally shot him.
In a statement late Thursday, Pasco County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Melanie Snow said deputies had been called to the Many Mansion RV Park in Lumberton by a man who said his roommate was suicidal and had taken a hundred pills.
Snow said that when deputies arrived, the suicidal man came out of the mobile home, yelled an expletive “making his intentions to potentially harm our deputies very clear” and fired a shotgun at them.
Snow said deputies returned fire, fatally shooting the man. He was identified as 54-year-old James Palmquist.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine
No deputies were injured. Snow said the deputies involved would be placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.