MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A state appeals court says a woman convicted of snatching purses from the Oneida Casino and the Brown County courthouse was properly sentenced.
Prosecutors accused Atavia Price in 2015 of pepper spraying a casino patron and stealing her purse as well as stealing a judicial assistant’s purse from the courthouse while out on bond in the casino case. She pleaded no contest to robbery with the use of force, possession of marijuana, bail jumping and theft. She was sentenced to five and a half years in prison.
Price argued on appeal that her sentence was excessive. The 3rd District Court of Appeals disagreed, ruling Tuesday that her sentence was less than the maximum and the circuit judge found her behavior was dangerous.
Price’s attorney didn’t immediately return a voicemail.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
- Kavanaugh gave private assurances. Collins says he ‘misled’ her
- The man most responsible for ending Roe worries that it could hurt his party
- Thousands of Seattle protesters gather downtown after Supreme Court reverses Roe v. Wade
- Biden signs landmark gun measure, says 'lives will be saved'