NEW YORK (AP) — The Apollo Theater in New York City has named a new executive producer.
The dance, theater and performance art venue in Harlem announced Tuesday that Kamilah Forbes will join the Apollo in September.
Forbes is the director, producer and co-founder of a New York-based nonprofit, the Hi-ARTS/Hip Hop Theater Festival.
She also has served as producer for seven seasons of HBO’s DEF Poetry Jam and the recent live television show “The Wiz.” She was associate director of the Broadway revival of “A Raisin in the Sun.”
Most Read Stories
- Seattle’s income tax on the wealthy is illegal, judge rules
- Retired Alabama cop on Roy Moore: ‘We were also told to ... make sure that he didn’t hang around the cheerleaders’ | National politics
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
- Expect record-high temps, 'copious rain' in Seattle area as we head toward Thanksgiving VIEW
- Analysis: Five reasons the Seahawks waived Dwight Freeney WATCH
Forbes succeeds Mikki Shepard, who was Apollo’s executive producer for 10 years.
The Apollo has launched the careers of such legendary artists as Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and Stevie Wonder.
Recently, it premiered the chamber opera “Charlie Parker’s Yardbird” about the famous saxophonist.