GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — An alligator killed a pet dog at a lake in Florida.
According to a report by WCJB-TV , Scarlett Dent and her 8-year-old son Easton Lowery were throwing sticks into Newnans Lake in Gainesville on Saturday. They were playing with their two dogs, Beignet and Blue.
Dent was talking with a neighbor when she heard Easton scream. She said she saw one dog, Beignet, struggling in an alligator’s mouth.
Dent said she tried pulling the dog free, but the alligator pulled it under. The nearly 2-year-old dog wasn’t seen again.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Federal judge in Texas rules Obama health-care law unconstitutional
- George Conway calls Trump a liar after Kellyanne Conway defends president on TV
- 'Nobody should work here — ever': Teen uses intercom to quit Walmart
- Some link depression, failed LASIK
- 12-year-old in China kills his mother, then returns to school, igniting an outcry
Easton said he saw the alligator “pop up” out of the water. He said he felt lucky that he wasn’t bitten, though he lost a dog he called his “best friend.”
Dent said she reported the incident to Florida wildlife officials.
This story has been edited to correct the name to Newnans Lake, not Newman’s.
Information from: WCJB-TV, http://www.wcjb.com/index.asp