NEW YORK (AP) — An alligator that was caught crossing a New York City street during rush hour has died unexpectedly.
A spokesman for Animal Care and Control of NYC says the 3-foot alligator died Friday morning.
Police officers had discovered the creature crossing Ninth Avenue in Manhattan’s Inwood neighborhood Thursday evening.
The spokesman said authorities have not yet determined the alligator’s cause of death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Is it time to change the definition of ‘fully vaccinated’?
- A white teacher taught white students about white privilege. It cost him his job
- CDC issues 'very high' risk warning for travel to France, Portugal
- Parents of accused Michigan school shooter have ties to Issaquah
- A climber found a trove of gems in the Alps amid a 47-year-old Boeing 707 wreck. He gets to keep half.
Exotic animals, including alligators, are illegal to have as pets in New York City.