NEW YORK (AP) — An alligator that was caught crossing a New York City street during rush hour has died unexpectedly.
A spokesman for Animal Care and Control of NYC says the 3-foot alligator died Friday morning.
Police officers had discovered the creature crossing Ninth Avenue in Manhattan’s Inwood neighborhood Thursday evening.
The spokesman said authorities have not yet determined the alligator’s cause of death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Motorcycle stunt rider Alex Harvill dies while trying to break world record in Moses Lake
- US-Canada border restrictions extended until July 21
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Severe heat and drought are the hallmarks of a changing West
- Supreme Court’s newest justices produce some unexpected results
Exotic animals, including alligators, are illegal to have as pets in New York City.