NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — Traffic is running along a portion of Interstate 75 known as Alligator Alley after it was briefly closed due to heavy smoke from a brush fire.
The Florida Highway Patrol says the roadway reopened Monday morning several hours after it was closed due to poor visibility. A section of U.S. 41 remains closed because of smoky conditions.
The interstate had been closed from the toll booth in Collier County on Florida’s Gulf Coast to the toll booth in Broward County.
The interstate is the major east-west highway that crosses the state on its southern end.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- In 1970, Mississippi banned 'Sesame Street' for showing Black and white kids playing
- A patient declared dead is found in a body bag gasping for air
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Firefighters have been battling brush fires in southwest Florida since last week.