NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — Traffic is running along a portion of Interstate 75 known as Alligator Alley after it was briefly closed due to heavy smoke from a brush fire.
The Florida Highway Patrol says the roadway reopened Monday morning several hours after it was closed due to poor visibility. A section of U.S. 41 remains closed because of smoky conditions.
The interstate had been closed from the toll booth in Collier County on Florida’s Gulf Coast to the toll booth in Broward County.
The interstate is the major east-west highway that crosses the state on its southern end.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine
Firefighters have been battling brush fires in southwest Florida since last week.