ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) — Algeria’s Defense Ministry say military forces have killed eight Islamic militants in the east of the country.
The ministry said in a statement that the extremists were shot Friday during a military counterterrorism operation in Chechar, 520 kilometers (325 miles) east of the capital, Algiers.
The ministry said that the militants were considered “dangerous terrorists.” Several weapons were found, including two machine guns.
It was the first major military operation of the year in Algeria. Extremist groups are still active in the country. There were several attacks against police forces last year.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas