LORMAN, Miss. (AP) — Alcorn State University is saluting more than 350 graduates.
The university is hosting commencement Saturday morning at the Davey Whitney Health and Physical Education Complex on its Lorman campus.
Christy Pickering, an outgoing trustee on the College Board overseeing all eight of Mississippi’s public universities, is addressing graduates.
Pickering is a certified public accountant who was appointed to the board by Gov. Haley Barbour in 2008, representing the southern third of the state. She has served as a director of Hancock Holding Co. and Mississippi Power Co.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- How the rural-urban divide became America’s political fault line
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
Pickering earned a bachelor’s degree in in business administration from the University of Southern Mississippi and has worked in the field of accounting since 1983.
Alcorn State is also granting one or more honorary degrees, but declines to publish that information in advance.