TIRANA, Albania (AP) — Police in Albania have arrested five Albanians who were transporting 23 Syrian migrants toward neighboring Montenegro.
A statement Tuesday said the five were transporting the Syrians in their taxis when they were stopped near the northwestern city of Shkodra, close to Montenegro.
The statement said the Syrians aimed at reaching Austria.
The five Albanians are charged with assisting in illegal border crossing and may be jailed up to 10 years.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
Albania, a NATO member since 2009, has not been a major transit route for migrants through Europe so far, although small groups have tried crossing it to reach its northern neighbors.