TIRANA, Albania (AP) — Police in Albania have arrested five Albanians who were transporting 23 Syrian migrants toward neighboring Montenegro.
A statement Tuesday said the five were transporting the Syrians in their taxis when they were stopped near the northwestern city of Shkodra, close to Montenegro.
The statement said the Syrians aimed at reaching Austria.
The five Albanians are charged with assisting in illegal border crossing and may be jailed up to 10 years.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Serial killer who took 10 women's lives executed in Florida
- 3 dead, state capital battered as storms rake Missouri VIEW
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air-travel ban
- Trump, Pelosi trade insults as their feud heats up VIEW
- Sherpa climbs Everest twice in a week, breaks his record with his 24th ascent
Albania, a NATO member since 2009, has not been a major transit route for migrants through Europe so far, although small groups have tried crossing it to reach its northern neighbors.