TIRANA, Albania (AP) — Police in Albania have arrested five Albanians who were transporting 23 Syrian migrants toward neighboring Montenegro.
A statement Tuesday said the five were transporting the Syrians in their taxis when they were stopped near the northwestern city of Shkodra, close to Montenegro.
The statement said the Syrians aimed at reaching Austria.
The five Albanians are charged with assisting in illegal border crossing and may be jailed up to 10 years.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Several powerful earthquakes strike off the shore of Canada
- Police say former boyfriend fatally shot Utah athlete from Pullman before killing himself
- Records: Suspect in Utah university killing was sex offender WATCH
- Leaked video shows Khashoggi 'body double' after killing VIEW
- The trade war’s latest casualties: China’s coddled cats and dogs
Albania, a NATO member since 2009, has not been a major transit route for migrants through Europe so far, although small groups have tried crossing it to reach its northern neighbors.