MANOKOTAK, Alaska (AP) — A 5-year-old girl from Manokotak (man-oh-KOH’-tak) has died after falling into the Alaska village’s sewage lagoon.
Alaska State Troopers say Daphne Mochin was taken by emergency flight to Anchorage, but died from the effects of drowning.
Troopers say the girl and two friends climbed under a fence surrounding the lagoon at about 11 p.m. Monday and that Daphne fell in.
She was pulled unconscious from the lagoon by a resident who performed CPR.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Washington health-care exec vowed to follow COVID rules. Then he led a 153-person Grand Canyon hike, rangers say.
- Florida middle school killer dies in prison at 31
- The girl in the Kent State photo and the lifelong burden of being a national symbol
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- Affluent Americans rush to retire in new 'life-is-short' mindset
She was revived by the CPR, but her condition worsened after she reached Alaska Native Medical Center.
Troopers are investigating the incident.
Manokotak is 347 miles southwest of Anchorage.