MANOKOTAK, Alaska (AP) — A 5-year-old girl from Manokotak (man-oh-KOH’-tak) has died after falling into the Alaska village’s sewage lagoon.
Alaska State Troopers say Daphne Mochin was taken by emergency flight to Anchorage, but died from the effects of drowning.
Troopers say the girl and two friends climbed under a fence surrounding the lagoon at about 11 p.m. Monday and that Daphne fell in.
She was pulled unconscious from the lagoon by a resident who performed CPR.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- At Alaska's most popular national park, climate change threatens the only road in and out
- Colin Powell dies, trailblazing general stained by Iraq
- Could this new version of an old grain help fight climate change and feed the world?
She was revived by the CPR, but her condition worsened after she reached Alaska Native Medical Center.
Troopers are investigating the incident.
Manokotak is 347 miles southwest of Anchorage.