FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A tourist from Alabama is recovering in a Florida hospital after he was robbed and shot while vacationing with his family in Turks and Caicos, police and his family said.
In a statement, Royal Turks and Caicos police said Kevin Newman was shot in the abdomen early Friday. News outlets report Newman underwent surgery at a hospital in Turks and Caicos and was in a medically induced coma when he was flown to a hospital in Fort Lauderdale for further treatment.
The family, including wife Tiffany and son Gavin, is from Smiths Station, Alabama. In a statement, they said Newman was “robbed at gunpoint and shot.”
News outlets report he received blood transfusions and was listed in stable condition on Saturday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
The Turks and Caicos Ministry of Tourism said in a statement they are “shocked and saddened” by the incident and that the Newman family remains in their thoughts and prayers.
Police said no arrests have been made but an investigation is continuing.