FORT PAYNE, Ala. (AP) — A judge has sentenced an Alabama man to 25 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to killing his mother with a baseball bat during an argument over grades.
Court records show 24-year-old Tyler Blansit pleaded guilty Thursday to killing 45-year-old Sherry Ann Blansit in 2015.
DeKalb County authorities say Blansit had been a student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He got into an argument with his mother about his grades, and the woman was killed with a bat.
Sheriff Jimmy Harris called the slaying one of the most brutal he has seen. Blansit admitted the killing in a plea agreement with prosecutors.
Most Read Stories
- The five priciest Seattle-area homes last year sold for a combined $113M. Four went to mystery buyers. VIEW
- Special sunglasses, license-plate dresses: How to be anonymous in the age of surveillance WATCH
- Snohomish County elementary school teacher found dead from hypothermia
- New software flaw could further delay Boeing’s 737 MAX
- At gun-rights rally, Washington state Rep. Matt Shea gives fiery defense, talks of nation's 'real enemies' VIEW
Authorities say Sherry Blansit’s killing was the first murder in the town of Mentone in 25 years.