FORT PAYNE, Ala. (AP) — A judge has sentenced an Alabama man to 25 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to killing his mother with a baseball bat during an argument over grades.
Court records show 24-year-old Tyler Blansit pleaded guilty Thursday to killing 45-year-old Sherry Ann Blansit in 2015.
DeKalb County authorities say Blansit had been a student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He got into an argument with his mother about his grades, and the woman was killed with a bat.
Sheriff Jimmy Harris called the slaying one of the most brutal he has seen. Blansit admitted the killing in a plea agreement with prosecutors.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Rocker Ric Ocasek, frontman of The Cars, dead at 75
- Warren says her tax plan asks just 'two cents' of the super-rich. How much of a hit would they take?
- Trapped at a waterfall, they sent an SOS message in a water bottle and were rescued
- Democratic candidates demand Kavanaugh impeachment after new allegation
- Over 2,000 fetal remains found at ex-abortion doctor's home
Authorities say Sherry Blansit’s killing was the first murder in the town of Mentone in 25 years.