FORT PAYNE, Ala. (AP) — A judge has sentenced an Alabama man to 25 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to killing his mother with a baseball bat during an argument over grades.
Court records show 24-year-old Tyler Blansit pleaded guilty Thursday to killing 45-year-old Sherry Ann Blansit in 2015.
DeKalb County authorities say Blansit had been a student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He got into an argument with his mother about his grades, and the woman was killed with a bat.
Sheriff Jimmy Harris called the slaying one of the most brutal he has seen. Blansit admitted the killing in a plea agreement with prosecutors.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Huge hack reveals embarrassing details of who's behind Proud Boys and other far-right websites
- Here's how the most- and least-vaccinated states fared against the delta variant
- Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine works in kids ages 5 to 11
- FBI searches Florida home of Gabby Petito's boyfriend
- Why the delta variant is giving more children COVID
Authorities say Sherry Blansit’s killing was the first murder in the town of Mentone in 25 years.