FLORENCE, Ala. (AP) — A county jail guard in Alabama has been charged with trying to smuggle drugs inside a Bible.
Sheriff Rick Singleton says 32-year-old Kenneth Lee Lawson of Florence was arrested Saturday night during a shift change when fellow officers found the prescription narcotic Suboxone hidden inside Lawson’s Bible.
Singleton says Lawson also was found with tobacco and was charged with trying to bring contraband into the Lauderdale County jail.
The TimesDaily (http://bit.ly/2anp1CB ) reports that Lawson had been working as a corrections officer at the northwest Alabama jail for about three months. Court records don’t yet show whether he’s got a lawyer.
Most Read Stories
- 'The Big Dark' is here as first of three storms rolls into Northwest on stretch of trans-Pacific moisture
- Boeing, reversing tide of cuts, rushes to bring back retirees as temps
- As Amazon’s deadline for HQ2 bids closes, speculation on winner heats up
- Midweek rain in Seattle area is just hint of what's to come, forecasters say
- Seattle startup co-founder Matt Bencke was ‘a force of nature’ | Obituary