JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A woman has pleaded guilty to kidnapping an infant from a Florida hospital nearly 20 years ago.
The plea agreement 52-year-old Gloria Williams accepted Monday in Jacksonville calls for a prison sentence of up to 22 years when she’s sentenced in May.
Prosecutors said Williams kidnapped newborn Kamiyah Mobley from a Jacksonville hospital in 1998 and raised her in Walterboro, South Carolina. The victim is now 19 and named Alexis Manigo.
The Florida Times-Union reports the young woman eventually met her birth parents, but continues to support the only woman she’s known as her mother.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding
The mystery unraveled over the last couple of years when National Center for Missing and Exploited Children tips led authorities to Williams.
Neither Manigo nor her birth parents were in court.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com