KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) — An Afghan official says three children were killed and four wounded after they found an unexploded mortar in a field while playing.
Fazal Mohammad Ishaqzia, the governor of Panjwayi district in the southern Kandahar province, said the children killed Wednesday all belonged to the same family. Kandahar Gov. Samim Khopalwaq said they were all younger than 12.
Afghanistan has been at war for more than three decades and munitions left over from various conflicts regularly cause casualties.
In a separate incident, Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi says an army officer was arrested Tuesday with 19 kilograms (41 pounds) of heroin in an army vehicle in the northern Baghlan province.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The handwarming story of how Bernie Sanders got his inauguration mittens
- ‘A total failure’: The Proud Boys now mock Trump
- The woman behind Michelle Obama's instantly iconic hair
- Hank Aaron, baseball great who became voice for civil rights, dies at 86
- The final U.S. county to get COVID-19? A remote Hawaiian outpost and former leper colony
Brig. Gen. Abdul Samad Habib, who commanded a recruitment center in Balkh province, has been charged with drug smuggling,