ABILENE, Texas (AP) — A West Texas officer has fatally shot a suspect who police say pulled a gun while being served with a warrant related to indecency with a child.
Abilene police Sgt. Lynn Beard says the shooting happened Friday morning at an apartment complex. Beard says police were attempting to serve the probation revocation warrant when the suspect produced a gun.
Beard says the officer fired in self-defense. No officers were hurt.
Abilene police didn’t immediately release the name of the suspect in the fatal shooting around 9 a.m. Friday. The officer who opened fire has been put on administrative leave.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- FBI searched Trump's home in part to look for nuclear documents, sources say
- Historians privately warn Biden that America's democracy is teetering
- A dog was missing. Cavers found her two months later 500 feet underground
- Man who tried to breach FBI office killed after standoff
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Texas Rangers will help investigate the shooting.
Further details weren’t immediately available.