COVENTRY, R.I. (AP) — A turtle that was found frozen in a fish tank in a vacant Rhode Island home has survived and is recovering.
The Providence Journal reports animal control officers responded to a report of an abandoned animal at a Coventry home last week and found the turtle encased in ice in the tank. Authorities believe the home had been vacant for several days.
Officials took the tank back to the animal control office and let it thaw out. Authorities say the turtle was able to move and open its eyes when it was removed from the tank.
The turtle was taken to a reptile organization for rehabilitation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
Officers named the turtle Elsa after the princess from Disney’s animated film “Frozen.” Animal control is investigating.
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com