COVENTRY, R.I. (AP) — A turtle that was found frozen in a fish tank in a vacant Rhode Island home has survived and is recovering.
The Providence Journal reports animal control officers responded to a report of an abandoned animal at a Coventry home last week and found the turtle encased in ice in the tank. Authorities believe the home had been vacant for several days.
Officials took the tank back to the animal control office and let it thaw out. Authorities say the turtle was able to move and open its eyes when it was removed from the tank.
The turtle was taken to a reptile organization for rehabilitation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Microsoft says it has found another Russian operation targeting prominent think tanks
Officers named the turtle Elsa after the princess from Disney’s animated film “Frozen.” Animal control is investigating.
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com