BOSTON — Authorities say a 9-year-old boy has lost a hand while playing with fireworks in Boston.
Police say a 5-year-old boy was also injured in the accident Sunday in the Dorchester neighborhood.
The 9-year-old’s family says he is being treated at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Investigators are trying to determine where the illegal fireworks came from.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A mysterious, devastating brain disorder afflicts dozens in one Canadian province
- GOP dumps defiant Trump critic Cheney from top House post
- New drugs could help treat obesity. Could they end the stigma, too?
- One of the world’s longest-running experiments sends up sprouts
- What is happening in Jerusalem and Gaza?
The state fire marshal’s office says a man was hospitalized with serious injuries to his hand while igniting fireworks Saturday in the backyard of a home in Saugus. Investigators found a large cache of fireworks in a bedroom of the home.
Authorities also reported large seizures of fireworks over the weekend in Pembroke, Hyannis and Dennis.