EAST PALESTINE, Ohio — A craving for a McDonald’s cheeseburger apparently prompted an 8-year-old Ohio boy to take his 4-year-old sister for a ride in his dad’s van, which he learned to drive on the internet.
East Palestine police Officer Jacob Koehler tells WJW-TV in Cleveland the father went to bed Sunday and the mother fell asleep on the couch with the kids.
Koehler says witnesses saw the boy driving and called police in the city, about 90 miles southeast of Cleveland. He says the boy drove about a mile to the restaurant, through intersections and over railroad tracks, without mishap.
Witnesses say the boy appeared to obey traffic laws.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Un-baaaaa-lievable: Goats invade locked-down Welsh town VIEW
- Despite stay-at-home orders, 6 out of 10 are on roads, and Seattle traffic hovers around 50% of typical levels
- Which DIY mask pattern should you use? Even experts can't pick one to recommend.
- Cardboard cutouts pose as guests for wedding amid COVID-19
- Inside the coronavirus testing failure: Alarm and dismay among the scientists who sought to help
Koehler says the boy told him he learned to drive by watching YouTube videos.
No charges have been filed.
Information from: WJW-TV, http://www.fox8.com