HILO, Hawaii (AP) — Eight people were hospitalized after a fire broke at a Big Island apartment complex, Hawaii authorities said.
Sunday’s fire damaged four units at the Kauhale Olu apartment complex in Pepeekeo, said Hawaii Police Department Sgt. Joel Field.
The fire was caused by unattended cooking and was unintentional, the Hawaii County Fire Department said in a statement.
The blaze was isolated to one building, with most of the damage concentrated on its upper floors. The electrical circuit breaker was shut down as a precaution.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A ‘liberty’ rebellion in Idaho threatens to undermine coronavirus orders
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson moved to intensive care VIEW
- Coronavirus death toll: Americans are almost certainly dying of COVID-19 but being left out of the official count
- Trump sees limits of presidency in avoiding blame for virus
- Great Barrier Reef suffers its most widespread mass bleaching event on record
All residents of the four units escaped safely Field. Those hospitalized were being treated for smoke inhalation and no one was seriously injured, authorities said.
No one was seriously injured in the incident, authorities said.
The building suffered water and fire damage after the incident. Occupants of the lower levels of the building were able to salvage some personal belongings. It was unclear how many residents were displaced by the blaze.
The Red Cross and building representatives plan to assist those who were affected by the fire. No damage estimate has been made public.