SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a man was arrested on suspicion of killing a 76-year-old woman in a possible botched robbery in a Santa Ana parking lot.
The Orange County Register reports police say officers responded to reports of someone yelling for help early Monday in a commercial parking lot.
Authorities say officers found an unresponsive woman lying on the ground and detained a man as he attempted to flee the scene.
The victim, identified as Betty Jane Willis, died at the scene. Her cause of death was not yet determined.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna says Willis was homeless and did not know her attacker.
Bertagna says police believe it was a possible robbery gone bad.
Information from: The Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com