SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a man was arrested on suspicion of killing a 76-year-old woman in a possible botched robbery in a Santa Ana parking lot.
The Orange County Register reports police say officers responded to reports of someone yelling for help early Monday in a commercial parking lot.
Authorities say officers found an unresponsive woman lying on the ground and detained a man as he attempted to flee the scene.
The victim, identified as Betty Jane Willis, died at the scene. Her cause of death was not yet determined.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding
Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna says Willis was homeless and did not know her attacker.
Bertagna says police believe it was a possible robbery gone bad.
Information from: The Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com