SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a man was arrested on suspicion of killing a 76-year-old woman in a possible botched robbery in a Santa Ana parking lot.
The Orange County Register reports police say officers responded to reports of someone yelling for help early Monday in a commercial parking lot.
Authorities say officers found an unresponsive woman lying on the ground and detained a man as he attempted to flee the scene.
The victim, identified as Betty Jane Willis, died at the scene. Her cause of death was not yet determined.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Newspaper calls for KKK resurgence, schools rescind honors
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Sen. Bernie Sanders says he's running for president in 2020 WATCH
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna says Willis was homeless and did not know her attacker.
Bertagna says police believe it was a possible robbery gone bad.
Information from: The Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com