PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh police say a 71-year-old woman was wounded while knitting inside her home on the city’s North Side.
Police spokeswoman Sonya Toler says the woman was shot in the leg at 8:54 p.m. Monday. She was taken to Allegheny General Hospital in stable condition.
Police say officers recovered five shell casings near a basketball court across the street.
The woman told investigators she was sitting in a chair knitting when her front window exploded and she felt an immediate pain in her left leg.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hacker known as Max is 55-year-old woman from Russia, U.S. says
- A humpback whale swallowed a lobster diver whole and spit him out alive: 'It tried to eat me'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- In California, the rapid creation of possibly the coolest new high school in America
- Justices rule against low-level crack cocaine offenders
Police are unsure what started the shooting or who the target was.
An investigation is ongoing.