SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) — Five teenagers are facing murder and burglary charges in connection with the shooting death of a 33-year-old central New York man in December.
Nineteen-year-old Cameron Webster, of Syracuse, was charged earlier this week. He joins 19-year-old Quinton Gathings, 17-year-old Tyrone Byrd, 16-year-old Francis Mercado, and a 15-year-old male whose name is not being released because of his age.
A police investigation determined that the suspects forcibly entered the home of James Smith on Dec. 12 and shot him in the hip area during a dispute. He died a short time later in a city hospital.
Four suspects are being held at Onondaga County Justice Center, while the 15-year-old is at a juvenile detention facility. It could not immediately be determined if they have attorneys.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Microsoft says it has found another Russian operation targeting prominent think tanks