CENTREVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Law enforcement officers say a 4-year-old child was killed after apparently finding a gun in a home and accidentally shooting himself.
District Attorney Michael Jackson told The Tuscaloosa News that the boy died Thursday night in Bibb County after suffering a gunshot wound to the face.
Jackson told the newspaper that it appears that the child found the gun in the house and accidently shot himself as he was handling it. Law enforcement has not released the name of the child.
The district attorney said the case remains under investigation and an autopsy will be conducted.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- After a Black man is killed by police, a city cancels its July 4 celebration
- One woman dominated a local fair's food contest. The internet went looking for her
- UN extends arms embargo on armed groups in volatile Congo
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Jackson called the incident a “tragic situation.”