SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a 36-hour police standoff at a Northern California hotel ended peacefully when a suspect with multiple felony warrants was taken into custody.
Edward Ruiz III was arrested at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday after negotiators worked over three days to coax him out of a San Jose hotel room.
San Jose police told the Mercury News that the 35-year-old was booked into Santa Clara County’s main jail.
Officers went to the hotel Sunday to contact Ruiz who had several warrants for his arrest in an armed home robbery in Milpitas earlier this month. The man barricaded himself inside a room with at least one other person, refusing to surrender.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- A hiker went camping despite warnings about severe winter weather. Six rescuers in snowshoes had to save him.
Police said Ruiz was accused of holding a 51-year-old man against his will during the home robbery.
Information from: San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News, http://www.mercurynews.com