SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a 36-hour police standoff at a Northern California hotel ended peacefully when a suspect with multiple felony warrants was taken into custody.
Edward Ruiz III was arrested at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday after negotiators worked over three days to coax him out of a San Jose hotel room.
San Jose police told the Mercury News that the 35-year-old was booked into Santa Clara County’s main jail.
Officers went to the hotel Sunday to contact Ruiz who had several warrants for his arrest in an armed home robbery in Milpitas earlier this month. The man barricaded himself inside a room with at least one other person, refusing to surrender.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover
- Tale of sex, deception emerges about suspected Russian agent
- In India, summer heat could soon be unbearable — literally
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
Police said Ruiz was accused of holding a 51-year-old man against his will during the home robbery.
Information from: San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News, http://www.mercurynews.com