ADA, Okla. (AP) — Authorities say a 3-year-old boy took the wheel of a pickup truck and drove it several blocks across four lanes of an Oklahoma highway after his apparently intoxicated mother fell out.
Pontotoc County District Attorney Chris Ross says his office is preparing drunken driving charges against the child’s mother following the incident Wednesday morning on State Highway 1, just east of Ada.
Witnesses told troopers that after the woman fell out of the truck, the 3-year-old boy stood up on the seat and steered the vehicle across the highway until it came to rest on a curb. Ross says the woman told authorities that the child had undone his seat belt and she was trying to refasten it when she fell out of the truck.
No injuries were reported.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hacker known as Max is 55-year-old woman from Russia, U.S. says
- A humpback whale swallowed a lobster diver whole and spit him out alive: 'It tried to eat me'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- In California, the rapid creation of possibly the coolest new high school in America
- Justices rule against low-level crack cocaine offenders