PARIS (AP) — The French national gendarme service says three people have apparently been killed and two officers wounded in a shootout at a Gypsy camp in northern France.
A spokesman said the regional gendarme service was alerted Tuesday afternoon to shots fired at a camp of traveling people, as French Gypsies or Roma are known, in the town of Roye. The spokesman was not authorized to be publicly named. He said the gunman shot at the officers when they arrived at the camp, leaving one critically injured and the other slightly wounded.
The police spokesman said the attacker was injured in the melee and arrested. Three bodies and one wounded person were found among members of the camp.
The circumstances surrounding the shootout were unclear.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Motorcycle stunt rider Alex Harvill dies while trying to break world record in Moses Lake
- In the Wake of India’s COVID Crisis, a ‘Black Fungus’ Epidemic Follows
- Severe heat and drought are the hallmarks of a changing West
- Summer solstice arrives Sunday night, marking year's longest day