MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Three men convicted of killing a 7-year-old girl in retaliation for another girl’s fatal shooting have been sentenced to life in prison in Tennessee.
The Shelby County district attorney’s office said 24-year-old Jordan Clayton, 22-year-old Branden Brookins, and 25-year-old Carlos Stokes were sentenced Friday. Each man received a life sentence, plus more than 40 years.
They were convicted in December of first-degree murder in the death of Kirsten Williams, who was shot in April 2015 while playing in the front yard of a home in Memphis.
Investigators said Kirsten was targeted. Stokes’ sister, 15-year-old Cateria Stokes, was shot in a drive-by shooting before Williams was slain.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
Prosecutors argued during the trial that Stokes wanted revenge in response to his sister’s killing.