WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Three Florida men will spend years in prison for plotting to assist the Islamic State extremist group.
The Palm Beach Post reports that U.S. District Judge Robin Rosenberg sentenced 54-year-old Marine veteran Gregory Hubbard to a 12-year sentence Wednesday. She gave an eight-year sentence 33-year-old Dayne Christian and four years to 52-year-old Arness Jackson. Each had pleaded guilty earlier to conspiracy to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.
Prosecutors say Hubbard was about to travel overseas to fight with Islamic State militants when the three were arrested nearly two years ago. His two friends were accused of assisting him.
The newspaper reports all three expressed remorse Wednesday and admitted wrongdoing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Death toll rises in California wildfire, matching deadliest VIEW
- France's Macron denounces nationalism as a 'betrayal of patriotism' in rebuke to Trump at WWI remembrance
- Republicans attack Jewish candidates, including Kim Schrier, with an age-old caricature: fistfuls of cash
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- Critics pile on after Trump cancels visit to US military cemetery outside Paris