BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Serbian police have arrested three Australian citizens suspected of being part of an international drug-smuggling group.
The police alleged in a statement issued on Wednesday that the men “are linked to” the discovery of 1,280 kilograms (2,822 pounds) of cocaine that was seized last April on a Chinese boat docked in Sydney, Australia. They said the drugs were worth 500 million Australian dollars ($400 million.)
Police released footage of the arrests that took place in the lobby of a Belgrade hotel. A bag filled with foreign currency banknotes also was shown, and police said the arrests were made during a “money handover.” A Lebanese citizen was detained and charged with having forged identity documents.
Serbian authorities said the arrests were made in cooperation with Australian police.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- 3 babies, 2 adults stabbed at home that police suspect was a ‘birth tourism’ site
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- Mormons to stay outdoors after split with Boy Scouts