BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Serbian police have arrested three Australian citizens suspected of being part of an international drug-smuggling group.
The police alleged in a statement issued on Wednesday that the men “are linked to” the discovery of 1,280 kilograms (2,822 pounds) of cocaine that was seized last April on a Chinese boat docked in Sydney, Australia. They said the drugs were worth 500 million Australian dollars ($400 million.)
Police released footage of the arrests that took place in the lobby of a Belgrade hotel. A bag filled with foreign currency banknotes also was shown, and police said the arrests were made during a “money handover.” A Lebanese citizen was detained and charged with having forged identity documents.
Serbian authorities said the arrests were made in cooperation with Australian police.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Migrant caravan groups arrive by hundreds at US border VIEW