GAUHATI, India (AP) — Police were searching Wednesday for 22 people who were missing after a motorized boat capsized in the flooded Brahmaputra River in India’s remote northeast. Three bodies were recovered and 11 people were rescued.
Police officer Mihirjit Dayan said the boat was carrying 36 people to Gauhati, the capital of Assam state, from a village across the river. Police had earlier said there were 40 people on board the boat.
The boat sank Wednesday after hitting a tower for a water project that was under construction, he said.
Heavy monsoon rains have flooded large parts of India. More than 1,000 people have died in seven states since the monsoon season started in June.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
This story has been corrected to show that river is spelled Brahmaputra instead of Brahmputra.