JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Mozambican media say 23 people were killed when a vehicle veered into a crowd attending a party in the capital of the southern African nation.
Radio Mocambique says the vehicle was traveling at high speed when it hit the crowd early Sunday in Maputo. The radio station describes it as an accident.
A senior police official Paulo Langa says the driver of the vehicle ignored a police order to stop just before hitting the party-goers beside a pedestrian bridge on a main road.
Radio Mocambique quotes Langa as saying the driver died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie stabbed on lecture stage in New York
- A child abductee's journey back
- FBI seized top secret documents in Trump estate search
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
An investigation is underway.