EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (AP) — A 2020 jury trial date has been set for a transgender inmate suing Illinois Department of Corrections officials for alleged abuses.
The (Carbondale) Southern Illinoisan reports that 26-year-old Deon “Strawberry” Hampton’s suit against Pinckneyville Correctional Center officials will be heard March 16, 2020, in East St. Louis. The lawsuit is one of two Hampton filed. Another lawsuit against members of the Menard Correctional Center also alleging abuses was resolved earlier this month. Hampton has recounted multiple beatings and sexual abuse by correctional officers.
The Menard case’s settlement included moving her from a male prison to a facility that already houses transgender inmates.
Hampton’s attorney says the Pinckneyville case’s extended timeline is not uncommon in civil rights cases.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- L.A. Times restaurant critic Jonathan Gold loved food and his city, was beloved by readers
- Why did a Russian pay $95M to buy Trump’s Palm Beach mansion?
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Documents used to wiretap Trump ex-adviser Carter Page disclosed
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
Hampton is serving a 10-year burglary sentence.
Information from: Southern Illinoisan, http://www.southernillinoisan.com