EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (AP) — A 2020 jury trial date has been set for a transgender inmate suing Illinois Department of Corrections officials for alleged abuses.
The (Carbondale) Southern Illinoisan reports that 26-year-old Deon “Strawberry” Hampton’s suit against Pinckneyville Correctional Center officials will be heard March 16, 2020, in East St. Louis. The lawsuit is one of two Hampton filed. Another lawsuit against members of the Menard Correctional Center also alleging abuses was resolved earlier this month. Hampton has recounted multiple beatings and sexual abuse by correctional officers.
The Menard case’s settlement included moving her from a male prison to a facility that already houses transgender inmates.
Hampton’s attorney says the Pinckneyville case’s extended timeline is not uncommon in civil rights cases.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
Hampton is serving a 10-year burglary sentence.
Information from: Southern Illinoisan, http://www.southernillinoisan.com