EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (AP) — A 2020 jury trial date has been set for a transgender inmate suing Illinois Department of Corrections officials for alleged abuses.
The (Carbondale) Southern Illinoisan reports that 26-year-old Deon “Strawberry” Hampton’s suit against Pinckneyville Correctional Center officials will be heard March 16, 2020, in East St. Louis. The lawsuit is one of two Hampton filed. Another lawsuit against members of the Menard Correctional Center also alleging abuses was resolved earlier this month. Hampton has recounted multiple beatings and sexual abuse by correctional officers.
The Menard case’s settlement included moving her from a male prison to a facility that already houses transgender inmates.
Hampton’s attorney says the Pinckneyville case’s extended timeline is not uncommon in civil rights cases.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump leads aggressive, all-out GOP drive to save Kavanaugh WATCH
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- As Senate hearing set for Kavanaugh, new accuser emerges VIEW
- Coddling parents of Chinese college students stay close by in ‘tents of love’
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
Hampton is serving a 10-year burglary sentence.
Information from: Southern Illinoisan, http://www.southernillinoisan.com