WASHINGTON (AP) — A group of 20 Democratic legislators is asking Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to support a repetition of the presidential elections held last month in Honduras, given the irregularities found by the Organization of American States.
The OAS, which sent election observers to the country for the Nov. 26 election, issued a statement saying it was impossible to determine the victory of President Juan Orlando Hernandez with enough certainty due to irregularities.
The opposition candidate Salvador Nasralla is claiming fraud, but The Associated Press has learned that the U.S. is leaning toward recognizing the result of the election.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- Justices side with doctors convicted in pain pill schemes
Reach Matthew Lee on Twitter at http://twitter.com/APDiploWriter and Luis Alonso Lugo at http://www.twitter.com/luisalonsolugo